Thursday, July 30, 2009

Let the Restoration & Renovation Begin!!


Well, after what felt like a long time, looking in a lot of places I finally settled on material for the upholstery. I purchased the amount of fabric that I had "computed" that should take of the entire project. Two coordinating fabric that are indoor/outdoor fade resistant fabric in shades of blue. Well, true to my form I changed my mind, I'm always doing that...decided that the striped fabric ( I purchased enough of this for the curtains and the cording ) would be "lovely" for the sides of the cushions too, and it is! But, and here comes the big but... now I have to purchase more of the stripe and I've got lots of left-over floral. Oh, well, this isn't something I'll be having to do again for a long time. Goodness, the cushion covers on her are 45 years old! Here's pictures of my "upholstery room" better known as the dining room. Originally I was going to replace the cushions completely. I mean 45 years old, I thought they'd be trashed inside. After checking on the price for new cushions and then when I removed the old covers, SURPRISE the foam was in terrific shape. No need to buy new foam!! There was no mold, they weren't hard or dry and not deterioration at all!! In fact if I had thrown them away I'm quite sure that they would have been in a landfill somewhere for the next 100 years. Well, anyway, I purchased thick batting and completely covered the old foam making the cushions thicker and a little more comfy for us. Now just get the sewing machine crank'n.